Girls’ cross-country preview: a year for redemption

Last year’s girls’ cross country team made it to CCS, however they were five points shy from moving on to states. The goals for the team this year are to win league and to make it to states.

A new year, a new team. Just like every other fall sport at Palo Alto High School, girls’ cross-country  has many new faces. The Lady Vikes are aiming high, in the hopes of accomplishing what they failed to do last season: qualify for state competition.

“This year of course we want to improve upon last year, we kind of had a disappointing finish just missing qualifying for states by five points,” co-captain Audrey DeBruine (‘14) said. “So we definitely want to qualify for states and we would like to win the league. Those are the main goals.”

Coach Paul Jones shares DeBruine’s goals for this season.

“My real things that I am interested in having happening would be that we take a crack at winning the league championship this year, which with Gunn won’t be easy because they have got a really good team,” Jones said. “The second thing would be to go to the state meet, which means finishing either first or second in CCS at the end of the season.”

The team’s season started yesterday with its first meet against Gunn. Bryn Carlson (‘16) came in first with a time of 12 minutes 54 seconds for a 2.18 mile course. Katie was Paly’s second fastest runner with a time of 13 minutes and 47 seconds. Layola Amamoni (‘17) took fifth place. Overall, DeBruine, who did not run in the meet, was happy with the results.

“I think we are at a good place right now,” DeBruine said. “Definitely at a place where we can improve over the season.”

The team consists of 41 underclassmen and only 26 upperclassman, 12 of which are seniors. Having a majority of underclassmen may appear to be a setback, but to DeBruine it is a good sign.

“We have a young team this year,” DeBruine said. “I think the underclassmen is really where the strength lies in our team. Definitely the returning sophomores and then some up and coming freshman like [Amamoni].”

The Vikes will be running next Tuesday, the 10th, at Crystal Springs, continuing to reach for the title of league champions.