Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Brief: Girls’ water polo falls to Los Altos 8-4

The Palo Alto girls’ water polo team came up short against the Los Altos Eagles 8-4 Tuesday night at Nort Thorton Memorial Pool.

Strong play from both goaltenders kept the game scoreless through the first quarter. The Vikings got on the scoreboard first with a goal from Olivia Scola (‘15) with 4:18 remaining in the half. Los Altos quickly responded to tie the game at 1-1.

Paly again jumped out to the lead when a steal on defense by Tess van Hulsen (‘16) translated into a breakaway goal by Izzy Kelley (‘17). However, Los Altos quickly closed to gap to bring the score to 2-2.

Two additional goals from Los Altos, including a successful penalty shot, increased the Eagles’ lead to 4-2. Van Hulsen capitalized on a five-meter with 52 seconds remaining to cut Paly’s deficit to one goal going into the half.

The Eagles, leading 4-3, opened the third quarter with strong defensive play and subsequently scored the first two goals of the second half. Van Hulsen, two-for-two on penalty shots, scored for the Vikings in the final 45 seconds of the quarter as the Vikings headed into the fourth trailing Los Altos 6-4.

The game got away from the Vikings further in the final quarter of play, as they scored only one additional goal to Los Altos’ two. Time expired with the scoreboard reading 8-4.

The Vikings, now 2-4 in Santa Clara Valley Athletic League play, host Gunn at home Thursday night.