NFL hopeful Adams (’14) stands out at Scouting Combine

NFL hopeful Davante Adams (14) comes into the Scouting Combine with 233 receptions for over 3,000 yards and 38 touchdowns in his two years at Fresno State.
courtesy of Davante Adams
NFL hopeful Davante Adams (’14) comes into the Scouting Combine with 233 receptions for over 3,000 yards and 38 touchdowns in his two years at Fresno State.

Member of the 2010-11 California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) state championship winning Paly football team and past Fresno State All-American wide receiver, Davante Adams (’14) made his mark earlier today at the National Football League (NFL) Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind.

With only two years under his belt playing for Fresno State, Adams came into the Scouting Combine with 233 receptions for over 3,000 yards and 38 touchdowns.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound receiver prepared for the event, where he’d compete with more than 300 NFL Draft hopefuls, by training at the six-week Michael Johnson Performance training program in McKinney, Texas, according to the FresnoBee.

In Texas, Adams worked with the ex-Olympic sprinter in preparation for the highly regarded 40-yard-dash workout.

At the Scouting Combine, Adams tied for third in highest vertical jump among wide receivers, leaping 39.5 inches. Adams participated in every workout also, recording 4.56 seconds in the 40-yard-dash, 14 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press and 123.0 inches in the broad jump.

After his performance, Adams received a NFL Scouting Combine grade of 5.96, categorizing him as a high “chance to become an NFL starter.”

Adams is classified as a potential low-round pick in the NFL Draft by multiple sources. Scout Inc ranked Adams as the No. 30 overall draftee in the 2014 class. In his Mock NFL Draft 2.0, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. projected Adams to go late in the first round, claiming Cleveland would use their acquired late-first round pick on the ex-Bulldog.

Coming up for Adams is the Fresno State Pro Day, where he will have a final official workout for NFL teams before the 2014 NFL Draft officially takes place on Thursday, May 8th.