Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024

Football holds down Homestead, 29-13

Photo Credit: Paige Borsos

The Palo Alto Vikings overcame a rough first half to hand league opponent Homestead its first loss of the season, 29-13.

Paly started the game with a fumbled kick return, giving the Mustangs possession at the 15-yard line. Receiver Robbie Graham (’12) took a sweep to the left side, for a gain of eight yards, followed by a seven yard touchdown run by running back Tyler Bond (’12).

B.J. Boyd (’12), the Vikings’ leading offensive man, responded with an 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. On the extra point, Tyrus Whitehead (’13) faked the kick to allow Gabe Landa (’12) a run at the end zone and successful two-point conversion for an 8-7 lead in Paly’s favor.

With only one minute of game play gone, the Mustangs lined up for their second drive of the game. Homestead quarterback Cameron Heen (’12) threw a pick on his first pass to Paly defensive back Matt Tolbert (’13), a transfer from Michigan who played for the first time tonight since dislocating his elbow in the season opener against San Benito.

“I felt great,”Tolbert said. “I was flying around. I was a little timid at first but after I got my feet wet, started to play so I was fine,” Tolbert said.

The Vikings’ drive, however, was cut short when quarter back Keller Chryst (’14) was intercepted by Mustang line backer John Marden (’12).

Despite a 10-play drive down the field by the Homestead offense, the Vikings’ defense clamped down and forced a turnover on downs.

Running back Dre Hill (’12) began the next drive for the Vikings with a short run for three yards, followed by an 11-yard reception for Chryst. Morris Gates-Mouton (’12) broke through the Mustang defense on the next play for a gain of 26 yards. Chryst then capped off the drive  by connecting with Boyd for a 26-yard touchdown, bringing the Vikings’ lead to 15-7.

The second quarter was mostly taken up by a 22-play drive by Homestead that was eventually stopped once again by the Paly defense.

Homestead retrieved the ball once again after a Paly punt, with 48 seconds left in the half. Robbie Graham (’12) caught a ball from Heen for the final touchdown of the half, and  brought his team within two, 15-13.

Hill, backed by Gates-Mouton and tight-end Ozzy Braff (’12) led a steady drive into the end zone, for a nine yard touchdown for the Vikings.

The Vikings would scored once more after a touchdown pass to Braff was called back, when Hill ran into the end zone once more, for a final score of 29-13.

Defensively, the Vikings improved in the second half, not allowing any points for Homestead.

“We got better in the second half,” Paly head coach Earl Hansen said. “We got more physical, we started playing with enthusism and we did what he had to do. “They didn’t score in the second half, that was our goal.”

The Viking play their next game against league opponent Wilcox at home, Oct. 7.