The Viking Magazine : Alistair Thompson

Role models in the athletic world

Alistair Thompson
October 10, 2011
Filed under Features

All professional athletes, whether it is fair or not, have a choice to make when they enter the public eye: be a role model or keep to themselves. A role model, by definition, is someone who sets an example that can be emulated by others. Taking it one step further, a positive athletic role model demonstrates... Read More »

Pit Bulls: Reclaiming America’s Dog

Pit Bulls: Reclaiming America’s Dog

Alistair Thompson, Features Editor
June 15, 2011
Filed under Features, Pro Sports, Top Stories, Volume 4 Issue 6

EDITOR'S NOTE: Due to the nature of this subject, this story may be difficult for some readers. ----------------------------------------------------------------- If trees could talk,... Read More »

Baseball defeats Los Altos, advances to SCVAL Championship

Alistair Thompson, Features Editor
May 8, 2011
Filed under Baseball, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Spring Sports, Top Stories

The Palo Alto High School Varsity baseball team (22-8, 13-4) defeated Los Altos (17-11, 11-6) 13-0 to take the three game series and earn the Vikings a spot in the SCVAL championship. Paly pitcher Drake Swezey (‘11) threw six shutout innings, giving up only four hits all afternoon. Swezey received... Read More »

Crossing Over: Roadunners Basketball in East Palo Alto

Alistair Thompson, Managing Editor
March 11, 2011
Filed under Features

Great teams have great supporting communities that fill the bleachers. The legendary Milan High School Hoosiers played for a community that rallied around them and followed them all the way to the 1954 Indiana basketball state championship. The famed Permian High School Panthers football team of Odessa,... Read More »

Religion in Sports

Religion in Sports

Alistair Thompson, Managing Editor
February 20, 2010
Filed under Features

Beyond the north end zone of Notre Dame Stadium, high above the scoreboard and all of the action that takes place on the field below, stands the south wall of the Hesburgh library. Adorned upon that wall is the "World of Life" mural, known by countless college football fans as "Touchdown Jesus."The... Read More »