The Viking Magazine : Mark Raftrey

Volleyball wins MaxPreps national team of the year

Mark Raftrey, News Editor
May 21, 2011
Filed under Fall Sports, Volleyball

The Paly volleyball team added another accolade to its near-perfect season on Friday when it finished first in voting for the MaxPreps national female team of the year. The Lady Vikes beat out four other finalists to win the award, which is decided upon by the public as well as a group of judges. The... Read More »

Baseball out-duels Bellarmine 2-1

Baseball out-duels Bellarmine 2-1

Mark Raftrey, News Editor
April 18, 2011
Filed under Baseball, Spring Sports, Top Stories

Seven different Paly pitchers held Bellarmine College Preparatory to two hits to win 2-1 on Monday afternoon at Paly. The Vikings had to come from behind after Bellarmine second baseman Matt Glomb (’11) launched a solo shot off Kevin Kannappan (’12) over the fence in left-center in the first. The... Read More »

Baseball falls to Los Gatos 7-5 in first league loss

Mark Raftrey, News Editor
April 2, 2011

The Palo Alto High School baseball team fell behind early and saw its 10-game winning streak snapped by Los Gatos on Friday afternoon at Paly. The Wildcats won 7-5 to avenge an 8-1 loss to the Vikings on Wednesday in the first game of the two-game series. Los Gatos exploded in the third inning... Read More »

Palo Alto baseball crushes Mountain View 13-0

Mark Raftrey, News Editor
March 13, 2011
Filed under Baseball, Spring Sports

The Paly baseball team (5-3, 2-0 SCVAL) took advantage of wild Mountain View pitching to pound the Spartans 13-0 on Friday afternoon at home. Pitcher Kevin Kannappan ('12) got the start for the Vikings and scattered four singles over four innings of shutout work to earn the win. “Sometimes I... Read More »

Palo Alto High School baseball coaches Dick Held and Dave Goldman model consistency, dedication

Mark Raftrey
April 1, 2010
Filed under Features

At the end of a Paly baseball practice on a brisk Friday night in mid-March, there are three people who remain on the quickly darkening field when all others have left. All three are coaches, clad in green windbreakers, Paly baseball hats and gray baseball pants. The tall, wiry, mustached Dick... Read More »

Crash Course: The most dangerous sports

Mark Raftrey
December 16, 2009
Filed under Features, Pro Sports

There are a select few sports that most will never compete in because they are simply put, likely to cause pain, but cheerleading and golf? Seriously? Believe it or not, these activities that are often considered tame or not even sports at all can be unexpectedly dangerous. Bring your first-aid... Read More »