The Viking Magazine : Shannon Scheel

Baseball’s season ends after extra-inning loss to Valley Christian

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
May 23, 2012
Filed under Baseball, Featured Sports Scrollbox

Tonight, the bats of the Palo Alto High School varsity baseball team fell silent at the San Jose Municipal Stadium in the Central Coast Section (CCS) semifinals. The Vikings, the top seed entering the tournament, lost 4-2 in extra innings  to the Warriors of Valley Christian, a West Catholic Athletic... Read More »

Serving to a different beat

Serving to a different beat

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
April 15, 2012
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says

Friends, let’s start out with a little…storytelling. As most of you who are familiar with The Viking know, we cover all Paly sporting events by dividing up into beat teams. Each beat team is responsible for covering a sport for the entirety of its season and currently, I have the honor... Read More »

Baseball Shuts Out Los Gatos 4-0

Baseball Shuts Out Los Gatos 4-0

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
March 28, 2012
Filed under Baseball, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Top Stories

... Read More »

Reppin’ For My Town

Reppin’ For My Town

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
March 18, 2012
Filed under Columns, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Shannon Says

You know the phrase "these things don't happen every day?" Well reader, that's because they don't. Not for kids (well technically I am an adult) at Paly, or any high schooler for that matter. Last Friday Night, I didn’t dance on table tops with Katy Perry. Instead, on The Viking's first ever New... Read More »

Baseball defeats Wilcox 2-1 at home

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
March 7, 2012
Filed under Baseball

This Wednesday afternoon, the Palo Alto High School Vikings fought a close battle with the Wilcox Chargers, emerging with a 2-1 at-home victory. Though the Chargers had seven hits to the Vikings’ three, the Vikings were able to emerge victorious due to solid defense and good, strategic pitching from... Read More »

Satisfaction

Satisfaction

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
March 4, 2012
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says, Top Stories

Athlete or not, life goals are a part of, well...life. But the countless hours of work, determination, and reaching the point of nearly quitting are all worth it once you make it through to the other side. Reader, I accomplished a life goal today. It is kind of silly, in retrospect: I got... Read More »

Brief: Girls’ basketball defeats Wilcox 45-33 in CCS semifinals

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
February 29, 2012
Filed under Basketball - Girls

The girls' varsity basketball team defeated Wilcox High School 45-33 tonight at Christopher High School in Gilroy. Reminiscent of last year's squad who won the Central Coast Section (CCS) title for the first time in Paly history, the Lady Vikes will defend their title against cross-town rival Gunn High... Read More »

I’ve Been Linking…

I’ve Been Linking…

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
February 20, 2012
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says

This President’s Day break, oh humble readers, Shanzie here did the unthinkable. I watched a live NBA game, two nights in a row. (I know, I know. Don’t faint out of shock or anything.) And I have Jeremy Lin to thank for this monumental moment in my life. To be honest, I was an NFL... Read More »

Colts Getting “Lucky”

Colts Getting “Lucky”

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
January 8, 2012

Happy 2012, readers! Yes, this early on in the year, a crucial issue has caught my eye: the Colts have earned the number one draft pick. Yes, I do know that this means their season of one win and god KNOWS how many losses has earned them this title. Needless to say, the lack of Peyton Manning was... Read More »

Girls’ soccer loses tough battle to Mountain View, 2-1

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
January 8, 2012
Filed under Soccer - Girls

Friday night, the Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity Soccer team (4-2-1, 0-1-1 League) fell to Mountain View High School (7-1-1, League 2-0-0) with a score 2-1. The game did not pick up speed until the second half, when each team scored their respective goals. Though the Lady Vikes have... Read More »

Volleyball named CIF Division I champions once again, headed to State Championship

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
November 29, 2011
Filed under Fall Sports, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Sports Center, Top Stories, Volleyball

Palo Alto High School's Lady Vikes (35-3-0) maintained their playoff hot streak with a dominating victory over the Menlo – Atherton High School Bears (31-6-0) at home tonight. With this win the Vikings are on their way to their second consecutive state championship appearance. M-A looked strong,... Read More »

Give A Little

Give A Little

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
November 27, 2011

Each time the holiday season comes around, I have to clear a little space in the corner of my room to fit my pint-size Christmas tree, a tradition my family has practiced since my birth. Friends, you know the holidays have arrived in Scheeldom when a petite noble fir (this year, mine’s named Norbert)... Read More »

Just do it

Just do it

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
November 20, 2011

No beating around the bush: I have an obsession with Nike products. Sometimes I find my consumerism a little bit embarrassing. But no matter how much my friends berate me for the thirteen (GASP) pairs of jeans I own, I can’t help myself: I’m an athlete, but also a shopper. And to be honest, if... Read More »

Look out for lockouts!

Look out for lockouts!

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
October 23, 2011
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says

This past humble evening, I realized that my columns needed a little extra “oomph.” Also, since I’ve started tweeting (if you need more of a daily Shans fix, hit up “shanscheel” on Twitter one time), I have been motivated to become more in touch with the news of the world. Because,... Read More »

In the Name of…Puns!

In the Name of…Puns!

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
October 9, 2011
Filed under Columns, Football, Shannon Says

This past weekend, I attended my six-year-old sister Kellyn’s soccer game and was instantly transported back to my childhood. There were the small goals, no goalies (no wonder I actually thought I was skilled back then), the oranges at halftime, the post-game carb and trans fat loaded snacks, and of... Read More »

Don’t Stress…Just Shwam!

Don’t Stress…Just Shwam!

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
October 2, 2011
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says

To say this week has been stressful is an extreme understatement. I am sure the rest of my peers would concur that based on this past week of school, it has come to the attention of everyone that HEY, school isn’t easy anymore and there is next to no time to relax. Well, I’ve also had the pleasure... Read More »

Column: Keep On Fighting (But Watch Out For Sharks!)

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
September 25, 2011
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says, Top Stories, Water Polo - Girls

Week five of column writing and I’m still going strong. Some non-believers thought I’d never make it this far. Sometimes I thought that myself. But hey, here we are! And I’m glad. My columns keep me sane between the stress of college essays, my Shanmom-ness and wild family escapades. And if you... Read More »

Column: Is it drafty in here?

Column: Is it drafty in here?

Shannon Scheel, Columnist
September 18, 2011

It’s 8:30 on a Thursday night and my palms are sweating. I feel hot around the collar, restless, and unable to focus. My IAC homework sits there, blank on my desk, taunting my nerves at an almost unbearable level. Yes, math is my nemesis, but believe it or not, it was not the reason for... Read More »

I Love My Man(ning)

I Love My Man(ning)

Shannon Scheel
September 11, 2011

Week one of the National Football League’s regular season games brings tears of joy to my eyes. Every Sunday, like clockwork, I rise promptly from my slumber at 8:30 a.m. to observe with eager eyes one of the greatest televised inventions for the sports fanatic: Sunday NFL countdown. (It starts at... Read More »

Column: morning glory

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
September 6, 2011
Filed under Columns, Shannon Says, Water Polo - Girls

As the saying goes: “give the people what they want.”  And here it is, week two of nonstop Shan sports coverage. Now I know you haters gonn’ hate and that’s fine, just stop reading and click that handy little “x” in the top corner. But to all my true and loyal readers, this one’s for you... Read More »

Column: Head Games

Column: Head Games

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
August 28, 2011

I walk out onto the quad, parting the early morning mist with each of my awkwardly swaggering steps. My eyes have the powers of Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern due to the fact that the camo jacket I’m sporting highlights their vibrant hue. Faces of all shapes and sizes observe the spectacle... Read More »

Softball falls to Homestead 5-3

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
May 14, 2011
Filed under Softball

It has been a mixed season for the 6-6 Palo Alto High School varsity softball team, who fell to dominant SCVAL league team Homestead 5-3 in their last game of regular season play. The Lady Vikes, who had won their past three matches, found that their hitting game was not able to compete with... Read More »

Paly softball shuts out Fremont 3-0

Paly softball shuts out Fremont 3-0

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
April 27, 2011
Filed under Softball

In the words of Palo Alto High School varsity softball coach Tim Anderson: “When everybody works, good things happen.” This was certainly the case for his team, as the Lady Vikes’ errorless defensive performance gave them a 3-0 victory over the Fremont High School firebirds on Tuesday, April 26. The... Read More »

Life in the fast lane

Life in the fast lane

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
April 16, 2011
Filed under Features, Spring Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Volume 4 Issue 5

Picture a hurdle.  A barrier.  A blockade between the impossible and possible; an object separating the domains of failure and success, of champion and second best. Conquering a hurdle requires complete fearlessness, a burst of speed and a solid jump. Mastering these components is a challenge in itself,... Read More »

Paly softball wins second league game against Mountain View, 6-0

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
April 4, 2011
Filed under Softball, Spring Sports, Video

The Palo Alto High School softball team has synchronized with the weather: on March 31st in 80 degree weather, the Lady Vikes turned up the heat and scorched the Mountain View Spartans 6-0 in their second league win of the season. After a slow start in league play and a tough loss to Wilcox... Read More »

Girls’ basketball falls to Lincoln in NorCals, 56-34

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
March 11, 2011
Filed under Basketball - Girls, Video

As the saying goes, “all good things come to an end.” This stands true for the Palo Alto High School Girl’s varsity basketball team, which ended its first Central Coast Section championship season in school history with a loss to Lincoln High School, 56-34, in the second round of the Northern California... Read More »

Girls’ tennis defeats Los Gatos in first round of CCS

Shannon Scheel
March 11, 2011
Filed under Fall Sports, Tennis - Girls

With the first round now in the past, the Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity tennis team can look forward to tougher competition in the later rounds of the Central Coast Section playoffs. The Lady Vikes will move on to the second round of the tournament after a sweeping 7-0 victory over... Read More »

T.J. Braff

Shannon Scheel, Staff Writer
February 27, 2011
Filed under Baseball, Featured Athlete, Profiles, Video

T.J. Braff enters the library at 9:45 on Monday morning, towering over the dozens of younger students chatting at nearby bookshelves and computers. Instead of demanding attention, he strolls leisurely to a chair at a nearby cubicle. A few minutes later, the librarian compliments Braff on his performance... Read More »