The Viking Magazine : Jonny Glazier

More than just a game

More than just a game

Jonny Glazier
April 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Last Word, Top Stories

It was a moment that I hope to wipe clean from my memory someday, but one I’ll never forget. One of those “where were you when...?” type events. As I flipped to CNN, I saw a chilling cloud of smoke rise from streets I knew all too well. Multiple bombs had gone off at the finish line of the Boston... Read More »

The great debate: Mike Rice

The great debate: Mike Rice

Jonny Glazier and Rohit Ramkumar
April 26, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Columns, Great Debate, Top Stories

Did the sports community and the entire nation overreact to the Mike Rice incident or did they react the right way? Rohit: I think that people are overreacting to this whole incident. Keep in mind, I am in no way condoning Mike Rice’s actions. Rather, I believe that the outside... Read More »

Don’t take stock in it

Don’t take stock in it

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
April 19, 2013
Filed under Columns, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Top Stories

The month of April is a nerve-wracking month for high school students and collegiate athletes alike. It’s a time of scrutinous judgment where they are frequently told, “sorry, but you’re just not up to our standards.” Now what is it that elite collegiate athletes and nervous high school students... Read More »

Real Talk

Real Talk

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
February 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Last Word

As a Bills fan, I have one, overwhelming fear about the 2013 season. No it’s not that Bills may lose every single game they play. Nor is it that the Bills may perform so poorly that they may move out of Buffalo. My crippling fear about the Bills’ year in 2013 is that they may draft Manti Te’o.You... Read More »

On to the next one

On to the next one

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
February 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Pro Sports

It's been a strict Niners rule since the inception of the franchise; if you make it to the Big Game, you win it. No exceptions. On Sunday, this heralded tradition was broken as the Niners lost their first Super Bowl in six appearances. However they, and football fans everywhere, didn't go out quietly.... Read More »

Paly grad set to face brother in Super Bowl

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
January 25, 2013
Filed under Football, Pro Sports, Top Stories

Paly alum Jim Harbaugh ('82) has been slowly and steadily building a name for himself over the last decade. Harbaugh's crowning achievement occurred last Sunday when his San Francisco 49ers won the NFC Championship in dramatic fashion over the Atlanta Falcons. Harbaugh's coaching exploits have taken... Read More »

An empty Hall: Why the voters got this one wrong

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
January 14, 2013
Filed under Columns, Pro Sports, Top Stories

What do Paly seniors and Barry Bonds have in common? Rejection. In the wake of college applications and the recent Hall of Fame snubs, Paly students and some of baseball's all-time greats can commiserate over the fact that they were unjustly rejected by an inexplicably exclusive group. However,... Read More »

The house that Harbaugh built

The house that Harbaugh built

Sammy Solomon and Jonny Glazier
December 14, 2012
Filed under Featured Athlete, Profiles

Whispers circulated through the student section as the Viking football team took on the Los Gatos Wildcats; “Jim Harbaugh (‘82) is here.” Wearing a Giants baseball cap, the San Francisco 49ers head coach was sitting towards the top of the Paly stands next to... Read More »

They aren’t going anywhere

They aren’t going anywhere

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
December 6, 2012
Filed under College Sports, Columns

They said they couldn’t do it without Gerhart. They said they couldn’t do it without Harbaugh. They said they couldn’t do it without Luck. Now in the absence of these Stanford legends, the Cardinal have achieved something that they couldn’t in the era of Luck, Gerhart and Harbaugh; win... Read More »

Boys’ basketball preview

Boys’ basketball preview

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
November 19, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

After a heartbreaking overtime loss in the CCS Open Division Quarterfinal to the St. Francis Lancers ended their 2012 campaign, the Paly boys' basketball squad looks to rebound in their 2012-2013 season. However, the Vikes will need to recover from significant losses from their 2012 squad. Graduated... Read More »

Torture?

Torture?

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
October 29, 2012

I’ll be perfectly honest; I am by no means a Giants fan. In fact, I routinely find myself siding against the orange and black due to the obnoxious flow of Giants-related statuses that flood every social media outlet. While bandwagon fan statuses agitate me as much as the next guy, what truly grinds... Read More »

#FantasyProblems

#FantasyProblems

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
October 2, 2012
Filed under Columns, Last Word

It is an unwritten rule of fantasy football that one may have a little something-something on the side with players who aren’t from his or her favorite team. While this lechery may be slightly more frowned upon in the realm of matrimony, it’s perfectly Kosher when we’re talking about fantasy brass... Read More »

Replacing more than just the refs

Replacing more than just the refs

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
September 20, 2012
Filed under Columns, Fall Sports, Football, Pro Sports

Football season is upon us, Paly. And with the return of America’s beloved sport comes the typical array of bar fights, Boomer and “C’mon Man!”s. However, this year we have a new addition thrown into the mix: replacement referees.  As many of you already know, Roger Goodell has yet to come... Read More »

Interconnectivity: How self-centered and oblivious athletes negatively affect those around them

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
August 22, 2012

If you've ever had the pleasure of taking AP Environmental Science with Mr. Scott, you know that no action is isolated; everything affects its surroundings, and vice versa. In the wake of the 50-game suspensions handed down to Bartolo Colon and Melky Cabrera, we see this statement put into perhaps... Read More »

Addition of Boyd could pay dividends for the writhing A’s

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
June 5, 2012
Filed under Baseball, Columns, Pro Sports, Uncategorized

As many of you may already know, Paly's own B.J. Boyd ('12) was drafted in the 4th round of the MLB Draft by the Oakland Athletics. Boyd, a dual-sport athlete, could add something that the A's have been missing in recent years: talent. Boyd's sheer athletic ability has been put on display throughout... Read More »

Goon Squad: The pernicious effects of stigmas attached to athletes

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
May 3, 2012
Filed under Columns, Lacrosse - Boys, Pro Sports, Uncategorized

If you’re anything like me, the first time you watch any hockey is during the playoffs. And if you’ve happened to catch any of the action on the rink, you’ve seen some of the brutal, unnecessary hits that highlight playoff hockey. As a result, you may have come to the shocking realization that... Read More »

The Viking’s Mock NFL Draft

The Viking’s Mock NFL Draft

Jonny Glazier, Columnist
April 22, 2012
Filed under College Sports, Columns, Pro Sports, Uncategorized

Admittedly,  I'm no Mel Kiper Jr. No, my hair isn't slicked back into a hardened shell. No, I don't debate with ESPN analysts. And no, I didn't score 1.4 points per game as a senior basketball star. That being said, I can give you some insight into how this draft may pan out. Being a life-long Bills... Read More »

Double crossed and double dipped at MSG

Double crossed and double dipped at MSG

Jonny Glazier , Kevin Dukovic , and Spencer Drazovich
March 16, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories, Winter Sports

NEW YORK-Double dipping is one of the most egregious violations at any get-together with chips and salsa. However, Friday night at Madison Square Garden, we discovered the more sinister side of the term. Let us first give you some back-story. As... Read More »

Private vs. Public

Private vs. Public

Jonny Glazier, Staff Writer
December 16, 2011
Filed under Features

Public Schooled: a mantra that has resonated throughout the Paly athletic community for years. However when one ventures outside of the “Palo Alto bubble,” this statement falls flat, listless and generally void of truth.  Last year, Paly capped off its most storied... Read More »

Heisman Heist

Heisman Heist

Jonny Glazier, Staff Writer and Devoted Cardinal Fan
December 11, 2011
Filed under College Sports, Columns

In retrospect, I should have seen it coming. For the past three years, I have sat, anxiously in front of my television. For the past three years, I have hung my head in disbelief. For the past three years, I have dampened my Cardinal attire with tears of anguish. For the past three years, the Stanford... Read More »

Girls’ tennis suffers 2-5 loss to Sacred Heart Prep

Jonny Glazier, Staff Writer
September 26, 2011
Filed under Fall Sports, Tennis - Girls, Top Stories

The Palo Alto High School girls' varsity tennis lost today by a score of 2-5 to the Sacred Heart Prep Gators. The Lady Vikes now fall to a 2-4 record coming off of losses to the tough league opponents of Saratoga and Monta Vista. Despite the loss, Sammy Solomon ('13) and Felicia Wang ('14) each won... Read More »

Column: why College Football should embrace a playoff

Jonny Glazier, Staff Writer
September 8, 2011
Filed under College Sports, Columns

As I watched my beloved Stanford Cardinal hoist the Orange Bowl trophy high into the sky of South Beach, I felt a maelstrom of mixed emotions. I was thrilled to see the Cardinal thrash the Virginia Tech Hokies by an astounding score of 40-12, and even more jubilant that I could... Read More »