The Viking Magazine : Kevin Dukovic (Editor-in-Chief)

Foug’s two-out, game-winning single lifts Vikings over Maria Carrillo

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
March 2, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Top Stories

James Foug may only stand a mere 5 feet 9 inches tall, but the senior centerfielder came up big Saturday afternoon. In a game that was dominated by solid pitching, Foug had two hits, including a game-ending single in the bottom of the seventh inning, and Paly (2-3) rallied past visiting non-conference... Read More »

Top 10 greatest Super Bowl commercials of all time

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
February 2, 2013
Filed under Pro Sports, Top Stories

The Super Bowl is about more than the two teams competing; it is an American tradition that has, over the years, evolved into a larger-than-life event for both fans and marketers. According to The Wall Street Journal, last year more than 110 million people tuned in to the Super Bowl,... Read More »

Vikings sweep Sequoia, advance to semifinals of CCS

Kevin Dukovic , Editor-in-Chief
November 10, 2012
Filed under Top Stories, Volleyball

The Paly volleyball team (28-6) made quick work of the Sequoia Cherokees (22-7) Saturday night at Paly, rolling in three straight sets, 25-22, 25-11, 25-20. The match lasted a mere 72 minutes. Paly hasn't lost a playoff match in two years and extended its postseason win streak to 13 matches. With... Read More »

Sloppy play highlights team’s 6-1 loss to Saratoga

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
September 11, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports Scrollbox, Tennis - Girls, Top Stories

The Palo Alto High School girls' tennis team (4-2, 0-1) fell 6-1 to Saratoga High School (3-3, 1-0) on a hot and sunny Tuesday afternoon at Paly. No. 2 singles player Felicia Wang ('14) was the only Lady Vike to win her match, beating Smita Sabada ('14) 1-6, 7-5, 6-4. The results of the remaining... Read More »

The Viking’s Huang wins 2012 Art Rosenbaum Scholarship award

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
August 6, 2012
Filed under Staff, Top Stories

Hilda Huang (‘13), The Viking sports magazine's business manager, won first place in the annual Art Rosenbaum Sports Writing Scholarship Awards for her story “Running After Dark,” which she wrote... Read More »

World Peace? More like World War – Why Metta World Peace deserved a more severe penalty for his latest lapse

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
April 30, 2012
Filed under Columns, Pro Sports, Top Stories

Favorable reputations can take forever to build, but only seconds to dismantle.  Just ask Metta World Peace. Ever since he entered the league in 1999 with the Chicago Bulls, World Peace, formally known as Ron Artest, has been a handful for both the teams he’s played for and for the NBA.  In his... Read More »

Administration and representatives from girls’ lacrosse team meet to shed light on recent violation

Kevin Dukovic, Editor-in-Chief
April 23, 2012
Filed under Lacrosse - Girls, Top Stories, Uncategorized

In light of the Central Coast Section (CCS) ruling issued last Thursday that forced the girls' varsity lacrosse team to vacate six Santa Clara Valley Athletic... Read More »

Roots of resilience – Jeremy Lin’s past foreshadows his NBA future

Kevin Dukovic and Austin Poore
April 20, 2012
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Featured Athlete, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Features, Uncategorized

AT THE BEGINNING OF FEBRUARY, Jeremy Lin (‘06) was just another NBA benchwarmer, toiling in the depths of the New York Knicks roster and unknown to all but the most loyal of fans. His claim to fame at the time was limited to his status as the first American player of Chinese or... Read More »

Lin needs surgery, will likely miss remainder of season

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
April 1, 2012
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Top Stories

Linsanity was put on hold Saturday when the news broke that Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is to have surgery next week to repair a slightly torn meniscus in his left knee. Lin could reportedly miss up to six weeks, making a return to the court this season highly unlikely seeing as how the NBA regular... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse falls to Sacred Heart, 10-8

Nina Kelty and Kevin Dukovic
March 21, 2012
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys

The Palo Alto High School boys’ lacrosse team (4-1) lost its first game of the season to league rival Sacred Heart Prep (4-0), 10-8 last night at home. With a second half comeback the Vikings were able to pull within two goals of the Gators. In the first minutes... Read More »

Double crossed and double dipped at MSG

Double crossed and double dipped at MSG

Jonny Glazier , Kevin Dukovic , and Spencer Drazovich
March 16, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories, Winter Sports

NEW YORK-Double dipping is one of the most egregious violations at any get-together with chips and salsa. However, Friday night at Madison Square Garden, we discovered the more sinister side of the term. Let us first give you some back-story. As... Read More »

In a New York minute – Examining the sudden evolution of journalism and its impact on the news publications that are forced to adapt

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
March 16, 2012
Filed under Top Stories, Uncategorized

NEW YORK - For centuries the only mode of news journalism came in the form of tangible handouts such as newsletters and newspapers. However, today the world of journalism is drastically different, and is changing at an expeditious rate. Twitter,... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse wallops Woodside 17-3

Boys’ lacrosse wallops Woodside 17-3

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
March 6, 2012
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Uncategorized

The Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity lacrosse team (3-0, 0-0) defeated Woodside High School (0-2) 17-3 on a cold and windy Tuesday night at Paly. It was all Paly from the start, when just two minutes into the game attackman Logan Mendenhall ('13) found midfielder Kris Hoglund ('12) for a long... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse opens season, romps Carlmont 13-1

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
February 27, 2012
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Spring Sports, Top Stories

The Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity lacrosse team opened its season with a 13-1 victory over Carlmont on a cold Monday night at Paly. The Vikes got off to a quick start when, just 26 seconds into the game, midfielder Kris Hoglund (‘12), who was forced to sit out all of last season... Read More »

Man behind “Black Power” salute visits Paly

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
February 21, 2012
Filed under Pro Sports

Dr. Harry Edwards, an African-American sports sociologist and Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of California, Berkeley gave an interview at Palo Alto High School this Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 21. Edwards (age 69), founder of the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR) that protested... Read More »

Boys’ basketball defeats Los Gatos, 69-53

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
January 21, 2012
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Winter Sports

The Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team defeated Los Gatos, 69-53, Friday night at Paly to improve the team’s record to 4-1 in league play and 14-2 overall.  Aubrey Dawkins (‘12) had a game high 23 points. The Wildcats capitalized on a slow start by the Vikes, scoring the first five... Read More »

Against all odds: Justin Grey’s remarkable return to the spotlight

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
December 16, 2011
Filed under Features

Life is full of opportunities, and for varsity football and baseball player Justin Grey (‘12), one arose in a football game against Milpitas last year. Three quarters into the contest, Paly held a 28-0 advantage and the game was all but over. With the outcome already... Read More »

Beneath the surface

Beneath the surface

Kevin Dukovic , Jacob Lauing, and Nora Rosati
November 18, 2011
Filed under Features, Top Stories

“HE’S-A-WHITE-GUY! HE’S-A-WHITE-GUY!” a large block of seniors vehemently chanted after Holger Thorup (‘12) dunked during the gym rally on the fourth day of Spirit Week. The chant was directed at the junior class and its two African-American dunkers, E.J.... Read More »

Girls’ cross-country places second at the Palo Alto City Meet

Kevin Dukovic and Nikolai Solgaard
October 26, 2011
Filed under Cross-Country - Girls, Fall Sports

The Palo Alto High School girls’ cross-country team placed second out of three schools at the Palo Alto City Meet at Gunn High School Tuesday afternoon. Paly scored a total of 35 points in the Lady Vikes’ second meet at Gunn this season, in between third place Castilleja ( 64 points) and first... Read More »

Brief: Paly girls’ cross-country places second at the Cal Poly Invitational

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
October 24, 2011

The Palo Alto High School girls’ cross-country team finished first in Division I and second overall at the Cal Poly Invitational at Cuesta College on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 15.Katie Foug (‘15) finished first for the Lady Vikes and second overall. Co-captain Nora Rosati (‘13) chimed... Read More »

Girls’ cross-country finishes 12th at Central Park meet

Kevin Dukovic , Austin Poore, and Nikolai Solgaard
September 28, 2011
Filed under Cross-Country - Girls, Top Stories

The Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity cross-country team finished 12th out of the 14 schools that competed at the Central Park Cluster meet on a mild afternoon Tuesday in Santa Clara. Paly finished the meet with a total of 275 points, well behind the 72 points of first place Lynbrook and rival... Read More »

Girls’ cross-country places second at league preview meet

Nikolai Solgaard , Austin Poore, Kevin Dukovic, and Grant Shorin
September 10, 2011

The Palo Alto high school girls’ cross-country team finished in second place at the league preview meet at Crystal Springs on Thursday, Oct. 6. The race was divided up by grade, so the members of the varsity team did not all run together. The freshman and sophomores won their race, and the juniors... Read More »

Girls’ cross-country places last at Gunn Alumni Meet

Kevin Dukovic , Nikolai Solgaard, and Grant Shorin
September 9, 2011

The Palo Alto High School girls’ cross-country team began its season finishing last out of the three schools that competed in the Gunn Alumni Meet on a hot Thursday afternoon at Gunn High School. Paly placed third in the meet with 53 points behind Gunn... Read More »

Are you ready for some football?

Are you ready for some football?

Kevin Dukovic, Staff Writer
September 9, 2011
Filed under Columns, Pro Sports

136 days.  That’s how long it took for the National Football League (NFL) and its players to reach an agreement and end the 2011 lockout.  Although the prolonged work stoppage will surely affect the quality of play this season, the NFL lockout has undoubtedly resulted in one of the league’s most... Read More »