The Viking Magazine : Pippa Raffel

Girls’ and Boys’ track and field overpower Los Altos

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
March 27, 2013
Filed under Spring Sports, Track & Field

Paly girls' track and field smashed Los Altos 89-33 Tuesday afternoon, and the boys clenched a nail-biter, 65-62. Although the meet is considered home for the Vikings, it took place at Los Altos due to the lack of jumping facilities at Paly. The meet started off rough for the Lady Vikes as the girls'... Read More »

Brief: Feldstein double wins game against San Ramon Valley

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
March 16, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Spring Sports, Top Stories

Paly baseball defeated San Ramon Valley in a close game on Saturday afternoon; the Vikings won 8-7. "It was awesome, we fought hard and got through some adversary. It was a big win today, we came back, it feels good," Isaac Feldstein ('13) said. Jack Cleasby ('14) scored the only run in the first... Read More »

Boys’ soccer falls to Alisal in CCS Quarterfinals

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
February 23, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Boys

In its second game in the Central Coast Section tournament, the Palo Alto High School boys' soccer team fell to the first place seed, the Alisal Trojans. Although the Vikings defeated the Trojans in a preseason tournament championship game in December, they could not hold back Alisal today. Eight... Read More »

The Viking tries roller disco

The Viking tries roller disco

Pippa Raffel and Audrey DeBruine
February 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories, Viking Tries

As flu season rolls around, Paly students have been falling ill left and right. Recently, five members of The Viking caught a different bug: Saturday Night Fever. There was only one possible cure: hit the roller disco. Our staff, clad in bell bottoms and fur, piled into a time machine and took a trip... Read More »

Pinning at all costs

Pinning at all costs

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
February 22, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories, Wrestling

The sculpture of The Two Wrestlers standing in the Uffizi Collection in Florence, Italy depicts just one moment in the timeless sport of wrestling. The two muscular men have remained forever frozen amidst their battle to top one another for over five thousand years. During the winter months,... Read More »

Viking Tries Roller Disco

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
February 21, 2013
Filed under Videos

Five members of the Viking staff took a trip to funkytown on a Saturday at Redwood Roller Rink. The trip was successful and we had a lot of fun. Filmed by Pippa Raffel, Tara Laurence, and Audrey DeBruine Edited by Pippa Raffel

Brief: Girls’ basketball triumphs on Senior Night

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
February 9, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Girls, Winter Sports

After a 10 minute ceremony honoring the team's three seniors, Josie Butler ('13), Annie Susco ('13), and Stephanie Allen ('13),  the Lady Vikes (8-12) were  topped the Los Gatos Wildcats (6-15) 44-38. The Vikings took a quick lead in the first quarter with two quick baskets from Butler and Charlotte... Read More »

A tasty lucky charm

A tasty lucky charm

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
January 27, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Let's admit it: when it comes to sports, we are all a little superstitious. But, when it comes to our beloved San Francisco 49ers, we are far and beyond a little superstitious. We all do what we can when it comes to helping the Niners secure their win, whether it's wearing that special Willis jersey... Read More »

Vikings overcome slow start, clip Spartans 41-30

Audrey DeBruine and Pippa Raffel
January 26, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Top Stories

In the fourth and final game of Friday night’s "Quad Night," the Paly boys’ basketball team (17-1, 7-0) upended the Mountain View Spartans (10-8, 4-4) 41-30 thanks to strong defensive play and 19 points from Aubrey Dawkins (‘13). The Vikings started out slowly, trailing the Spartans deep into... Read More »

Brief: Wrestling falls (64-18) to cross-town rival Gunn High School

Charlotte Biffar and Pippa Raffel
January 18, 2013
Filed under Wrestling

The Palo Alto High School wrestling team suffered a tough defeat (64-18) against cross-town rival Gunn High School. Both teams entered the Titans Gym last night with a 2-0 record in the De Anza Division of SCVAL, the Vikings having worked... Read More »

Hansen: the man behind the mustache

Hansen: the man behind the mustache

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
December 15, 2012
Filed under Features, Profiles, Top Stories

He is pretty hard to miss. Standing at 6 feet 1 inch tall, with dark sunglasses, a puffy mustache and a booming chuckle, Paly head football coach Earl Hansen has led the Vikings to 195 wins, four Central Coast Section titles and two California State... Read More »

Boys’ soccer gets a haircut

Annie Susco and Pippa Raffel
December 7, 2012
Filed under Videos

At Palo Alto High School the varsity boys' soccer team has a tradition of giving each other crazy haircuts before their first game of the season. This video is of a few short interviews with some of the players, telling The Viking Magazine what their hair cuts are all about. Filmed by Pippa Raffel and... Read More »

Homestead sweeps Vikings in CCS semifinals, season comes to an abrupt end

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
November 15, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Top Stories, Volleyball

The Palo Alto High School volleyball team's 13-match postseason winning streak was snapped Wednesday night by the Homestead Mustangs (24-8) in the CCS semifinals at Santa Clara High School. While they jumped out to early leads in two of the three games, the Vikes could not hold on to any of them, falling... Read More »

Paly Volleyball CCS Trailer

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
November 7, 2012
Filed under Videos

Paly volleyball will be playing in the Central Coast Section (CCS) tournament this Saturday, November 10 at the Palo Alto High School gym.

Volleyball drops close match to Los Gatos on Senior Night

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
October 30, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Top Stories, Volleyball

After an intense back-and-forth match on Tuesday, the Paly volleyball team was unable to top league rival Los Gatos, losing to the Wildcats in five games. This last regular season home game was the senior night for the team, and honored seniors Sophia Bono and Shelby Knowles,... Read More »

Volleyball defeats Mountain View in three games

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
October 18, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Top Stories, Uncategorized, Volleyball

The Paly (20-4, 9-1) volleyball team continued their near perfect league season as they triumphed over the Mountain View Spartans (12-12, 4-6). Although the Spartans began the set with a slight lead of 2-1, the Lady Vikes quickly retaliated and picked up their momentum, until they were leading 12-7... Read More »

Numbers don’t lie: How the Paly Sports Boosters distributes its funding

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under Features, Top Stories, Uncategorized

University of Alabama table tennis. USC bowling. Ohio State badminton. Heard of any of these teams? Probably not. Heard of their football teams? Probably a different story. Since football’s popularity took off in the first half of the 20th century, schools in the United States have often seemed... Read More »

Paly volleyball sweeps Castilleja in three games

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
September 11, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Sports Center, Top Stories, Uncategorized, Volleyball

The Palo Alto High School girls' volleyball team won its third consecutive non-league match, sweeping the Castilleja Gators in three games. Although the team is still getting used to its 10 new players, the players were pleased with their team's performance during the game. “I think... Read More »

Volleyball season preview: team looks to returning players to build with new players

Pippa Raffel, Staff Writer
September 4, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized, Volleyball

Expectations are high for this year’s Paly volleyball team, which is coming off six consecutive league titles and back to back state championships.  In addition to the expectations of continued glory, the team will face challenges adjusting to a number of new faces in the locker room. ... Read More »