The Viking Magazine : Julia Saul

Boys’ lacrosse drops SCVAL semifinals to Menlo Atherton

Julia Saul
May 15, 2014
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Top Stories

After a rough battle between Palo Alto and Menlo Atherton on Wednesday night, Palo Alto was unable to score in the last quarter and lost to Menlo Atherton 10-11. The loss meant the end of the Vikes’ season. The game started out on a strong note for Paly when Zach Levitan (‘15) scored the first... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse triumphs over Archbishop Mitty, 16-5

Julia Saul, Design Editor
March 5, 2014
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Spring Sports, Top Stories

In their second game of the season, the boys’ lacrosse team triumphed over Archbishop Mitty 16-5. The game started out slow for the Vikings when Mitty scored the first two goals. However, Paly fought back, responding with a goal by Jordan Gans (‘14). Mitty scored one more goal to... Read More »

Girls’ soccer records first win of the season, 2-0

Julia Saul, Design Editor
December 7, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Boys, Top Stories, Winter Sports

On a chilly Saturday afternoon, the Vikings had their first win of the season against the San Benito ‘Balers, 2-0. “Our first half was really strong and we got chances and we finished them,” captain Megan Tall (‘14) said. “We definitely let ourselves go in the second half... Read More »

Viking Editor-in-chief wins 2013 Art Rosenbaum award

Julia Saul, Design Editor
September 9, 2013
Filed under Staff

Last Friday, Sept. 6th, Viking Editor-in-chief Josh Stern ('14) was presented with the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (BASHOF) Art Rosenbaum Sports Writing Scholarship award at a San Francisco Giants pre-game ceremony at AT&T Park. Named after Art Rosenbaum, a San Francisco... Read More »

Girls’ lacrosse crushes Pioneer, 16-3

Girls’ lacrosse crushes Pioneer, 16-3

Julia Saul and Paul Bienaimé
March 26, 2013
Filed under Lacrosse - Girls, Top Stories

On Tuesday night, girls' lacrosse dominated Pioneer High School at Paly’s home field. Their strong defense only allowed three goals from Pioneer, resulting in a end score of 16-3. Anna Dairaghi (‘13), Kristen... Read More »

Girls’ lacrosse pummels Oak Ridge in their fourth game, 15-3

Julia Saul, Staff Writer
March 2, 2013
Filed under Lacrosse - Girls

This morning, Palo Alto's girls' lacrosse dominated Oak Ridge with a final score of 15-3. The first goal of the game was scored by Simone Buteau ('13) which was quickly followed by three consecutive goals scored by midfielder Kristen Destefano ('14).... Read More »

‘E.J. Who?’

‘E.J. Who?’

Julia Saul and Audrey DeBruine
February 22, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Top Stories, Winter Sports

On Feb. 25, 2012, almost exactly one year ago, the Paly boys’ basketball team lost a heartbreaker in overtime to the St. Francis High School Lancers in the semifinals of the Central Coast Section (CCS) Division II championship tournament. This was the last game Israel Hakim (‘12), the team’s... Read More »

E.J. who?

E.J. who?

Audrey DeBruine and Julia Saul
February 11, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Features

Wrestling takes a beating from Wilcox, 51-21

Julia Saul , Staff Writer
January 24, 2013
Filed under Winter Sports, Wrestling

The Paly wrestling team was dominated by Wilcox in an away meet on January 24th, resulting in a final score of 51-21. Erik Anderson (‘13) at 182 pounds and Jordan Gans (‘14) at 170 pounds both had pins. The rest of the points for Paly were by Gary Hohbach (‘13) at 160 pounds, Eric Oshima (‘16)... Read More »

Diggin’ the sand

Diggin’ the sand

Julia Saul, Staff Writer
December 15, 2012
Filed under Features

The beach volleyball courts on Stanford University’s campus give way to a whole different culture of Paly sports. There are crowds of people wearing bro tanks and hats, songs pumping in the background and on occasion burgers sizzling on a grill off to the side. Who are these people covered in sweat... Read More »

Boys’ water polo defeats Los Gatos 12-7

Boys’ water polo defeats Los Gatos 12-7

Julia Saul, Staff Writer
September 13, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Water Polo - Boys

The Paly varsity boys' water polo team (2-0-0, 2-0-0) overpowered Los Gatos on Thursday afternoon at the Palo Alto High School pool. The Vikings started strong by winning the sprint and quickly powering down the length of the pool. Nolan Perla-Ward (‘13) set the tone early in the game by scoring... Read More »