The Viking Magazine : Ami Drez

Boys’ lacrosse just clutches 11-6 win against the Los Altos Eagles

Ami Drez, News Editor
April 17, 2014
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Spring Sports

The Palo Alto boy's lacrosse team started off strong in the first half and maintained their lead with a final score of 11-6. The Vikings came into the first quarter ready to dominate, with two goals by Wayland Chiu ('14) and Matt Seligson ('16). Los Altos rallied back and put one at the back of the... Read More »

Volleyball drops CCS championship to Homestead in four sets

Ami Drez and Tori Destefano
November 23, 2013
Filed under Fall Sports, Top Stories, Volleyball

“Lets go Paly, lets go!” a crowd of spirited Paly students yelled during the CCS girls volleyball championship to show their Paly Pride. However, despite the constant cheering and spirit throughout the stands, Homestead conquered the CCS Championships over Paly in four games. The Vikes were... Read More »

Lily: Started from the bottom

Chris Smith and Ami Drez
May 29, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

In an arena filled with hundreds of people at the U.S. Women’s National Junior Championship, Palo Alto High School student Lily Zhang (‘14) felt the pressure as her opponent was preparing to serve for match point. She recalls the sweat dripping down her face and her palms beginning to clam up. Holding... Read More »

The Viking tries Rockin’ Jump

The Viking tries Rockin’ Jump

Ami Drez
April 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories, Viking Tries

On Saturday April 13, Viking staff member Ami Drez drove out to Rockin’ Jump, a trampoline park in San Carlos. Upon her arrival, after about a 20-minute drive, Drez was required to sign an electronic waiver via the four computers provided. After filling out the waiver, Rockin’... Read More »

Baseball now tied for first in league with Wilcox

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
April 20, 2013
Filed under Baseball

On Friday afternoon, the Paly baseball team was unable to come back from a 1-0 deficit, despite defeating Wilcox this Wednesday (8-5). Paly defense as well as the pitching by Chris Smith ('14), were able to hold Wilcox to zero runs up until 3rd inning. However, the Viking hitting started out slow. Finally... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse triumphs over Menlo, 15-6

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
March 23, 2013
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys

This Friday night, at the Paly home turf, the Vikings dominated Menlo High School 15-6. Coming into the first quarter the Vikings started out strong with a goal by Tully Mcallister (‘14).  The Vikings were able to hold onto possession of the ball, allowing Jonny Glazier (‘13) to score the last... Read More »

Lacrosse teams show unity in “play 4 Seton Hill” movement

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
March 21, 2013
Filed under Lacrosse - Girls, Top Stories

In a horrifying automobile accident, on Saturday March 16, the  Seton Hill women's lacrosse team, lost control of their tour bus on the Pennsylvania turnpike. The crash resulted in the death of head coach Kristin Quigley, 30, who was estimated to be six months pregnant. The driver of the bus also died... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse drops heart breaker to Menlo Atherton 7-5

Ami Drez and Sammy Solomon
March 7, 2013
Filed under Lacrosse - Boys, Top Stories

For those who are familiar with the game of lacrosse, it is evident that very often the team that ends up on top is the team that is able to maintain the ground balls. Which, subsequently, determined the outcome of the boys' varsity lacrosse game this Wednesday under the Paly lights between the Menlo-Atherton... Read More »

Girls’ Varsity Soccer 2013

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
March 1, 2013
Filed under Videos

Despite the abrupt ending to the 2013 season, due to CIF technicalities, the lady Vikes ended the season undefeated in league. Filmed and Edited by Ami Drez

Glazier and Anderson lead team to victory against Mitty, 13-5

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
February 28, 2013

Under the lights, at the Paly home turf, boys' varsity lacrosse defeated Archbishop Mitty High School Wednesday night, 13-5. The Vikings were able to take the lead with top scorers Jonny Glazier ('13) and Skyler Anderson ('13) contributing a combined total of 11 goals. The Vikings started out on... Read More »

Boys’ soccer beat Fremont 1-0

Ami Drez, Staff Witer
February 4, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Boys, Winter Sports

In a close match, Paly boys' varsity soccer defeated Fremont, 1-0 on Friday at home. In the first few minutes, Paly came out on a dominant note, maintaining possession. Cina Vacir ('14) moved down the field, passed the ball over to Preston Kuppe ('15) who faked out his defenders... Read More »

Girls’ varsity soccer undefeated in league with another easy win

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
January 16, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Girls, Top Stories

The Paly girls’ varsity soccer team had yet another successful defeat this Wednesday at the Paly home turf. The lady Vikes beat Milpitas 6-1, leaving them undefeated in their league. Overall, the Vikings are satisfied with their win, h0wever, Coach Seedman believes that the girls' didn't play to... Read More »

After a thrilling victory over Wilcox, boys’ soccer is now 8-3 overall

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
January 14, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Boys

After coming back from winter break, the Paly boys' varsity soccer team was able to pull together an impressive 3-2 win against Wilcox. However, head coach Don Briggs emphasized the team's shortcomings. “I still don't think we’ve gotten to our full form from before the break," Briggs said.... Read More »

Girls’ soccer preview

Ami Drez, Staff writer
December 1, 2012
Filed under Soccer - Girls, Uncategorized, Winter Sports

The Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity soccer team has not qualified for the Central Coast Section (CCS) championships since the 2009-2010 season, and last winter season the varsity team was relegated. This year however, the team is looking to the put the past few seasons behind them, and remains... Read More »

Girls’ soccer drops tough battle to Sacred Heart Prep, 1-0

Ami Drez, Staff writer
December 1, 2012
Filed under Soccer - Girls, Top Stories

This Friday night The Palo Alto High School girls' varsity soccer team lost a tough battle to Sacred Heart Prep (SHP), 1-0 at Paly.The majority of the first half was a defensive battle. Paly's attack had multiple scoring opportunities, but the girls couldn't seem to find the... Read More »

A Typical Boys’ Water Polo Practice

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Videos

This video is a typical Palo Alto boys' varsity water polo practice. It takes you through the team's warm-up, shooting drills, scrimmages, and chalk talk. Filmed and edited by Ami Drez

Boys’ Water Polo falls to Los Altos, 12-11

Ami Drez, Staff Writer
October 23, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Water Polo - Boys

On a chilly Tuesday evening under the pool lights, the Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity water polo team fell short to Los Altos, 12-11 in overtime. The stands were filled with parents, cheerleaders and fellow Paly students, who came out to support the six seniors in their last home game. From... Read More »