Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Viking Editor-in-chief wins 2013 Art Rosenbaum award

Viking Editor-in-chief Josh Stern (14) was presented with the Art Rosenbaum Sports Writing Scholarship award at a San Francisco Giants pre-game ceremony at AT&T Park last Friday, Sept. 6th.
Josh Stern
Viking Editor-in-chief Josh Stern (’14) was presented with the Art Rosenbaum Sports Writing Scholarship award at a San Francisco Giants pre-game ceremony at AT&T Park last Friday, Sept. 6th.

Last Friday, Sept. 6th, Viking Editor-in-chief Josh Stern (’14) was presented with the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (BASHOF) Art Rosenbaum Sports Writing Scholarship award at a San Francisco Giants pre-game ceremony at AT&T Park.

Named after Art Rosenbaum, a San Francisco Chronicle editor and writer for 60 years, the award is given annually to three high school journalists from around the Bay Area. Concerned that many schools in Northern California were having their publications eliminated due to economic problems, Rosenbaum created a fund for high school journalists; his proceeds of $44,000, going into the scholarship fund. Each year, the winners of the award are invited to AT&T Park to accept their scholarships.

“We were walked onto the field behind home plate and I was with the two other finalists,” Stern said. “One finalist wasn’t there so his parents accepted on his behalf. They had the Giants announcer announce the award and gave a little description of what the award was and they presented the awards to each of us.”

Of the three Scholarship awards given, Stern won second place for his sports feature “What if?” in The Viking’s fifth issue, published last April. Granddaughters of the longtime San Francisco Chronicle editor, Cindy and Jenn Viola Rosenbaum presented Stern with a check of $1,500 in scholarship money.

“I was glad [when I heard I had won the award] because writing the story was a lot of work,” Stern said. “I felt like all my hard work had paid off.”

Stern competed with Bay Area juniors and seniors who have all written sports related articles for their high school. These articles were then judged by a panel of veteran sports writers.