Lucas TungApril 15, 2024
The Hidden MVPs
The Hidden MVPs
Jason Hu and Ben LevavApril 11, 2024

Girls’ tennis team stays undefeated

Aashli+Budhiraja+%2814%29+hits+a+forehand+to+return+a+serve.+She+won+her+singles+match+6-1%2C+6-0.+
Katie Foug
Aashli Budhiraja (’14) hits a forehand to return a serve. She won her singles match 6-1, 6-0.

The Paly Girls’ Tennis team has continued their streak with a 6-1 win over the Los Gatos Wildcats making the Viking’s record 12-0 for the season.

With two of the normal starters out sick, the Lady Vikes were forced to resort to a “creative line up” to fill in the gaps. With six returning seniors on the squad, the team was able to step up and win the match.

The Vikings showed strength in their singles game after winning three out of the four single matches.

Fourth year varsity player and co-captain Aashli Budhiraja (’14) won the number one singles match in two short sets 6-1, 6-0.

“I played really well, I think I am getting better as time is going on this season,” Budhiraja said.

Felicia Nore (‘14) and Avanika Narayan (’17) won the second and third singles matches with identical scores of 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2, 6-1.

“My top three singles players are pretty tough and I feel good going into the Monta Vista match with those three. They are good,” coach Andy Harader said.

The good team comrodery also helped the girls win all three of their doubles matches.

Caroline Nore (’14) and Samantha Dewees (’14) grinded out their match after going into two set-determining tie breakers and a third set tiebreaker, they won 7-6, 6-7, 10-6.

The Vikings are having a very successful season after winning the Paly Invitational tournament and keeping an undefeated record.

Play faces the former Central Coast Section Champions, Monta Vista, tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. They lost both their matches to Monta Vista last year, so this will most likely be the Vikings hardest match of the season.

“If we can beat them tomorrow we might be in line for a number one seed for the CCS championship tournament,” Harader said.