Girls’ basketball crushes Mountain View 44-31

Amelia+Schmarzo+%2817%29+scores+a+free+throw+for+the+Lady+Vikes.+The+Vikings+went+on+to+dominate+Mountain+View+in+a+solid+performance.+
Amelia Schmarzo (’17) scores a free throw for the Lady Vikes. The Vikings went on to dominate Mountain View in a solid performance.

On Friday night the Lady Vikes put on an impressive performance against Mountain View, dominating the court and easily claiming the win, 44-31.

In the first quarter, Paly started off strong, immediately grabbing the lead with their aggressive shooting and effective defense strategies. Maddy Atwater (’16) and Hope Crockett (’14) both scored two 3 pointers, boosting the score 12-4 Paly by the end of the quarter.

“We played really good defense in the first half,” Coco Lovely said. “The next game we need to work on staying composed when we are frustrated.”

The Lady Vikes kept their extensive lead during the second quarter, starting with another 3 pointer by Atwater and a shot by Alexis Harris (’16). Mountain View’s defense was incapable of matching the Viking’s aggressive drives to the basket and accurate three point shots. Amelia Schmarzo (’17) helped secure the lead with a 3 pointer and a basket.

“We executed on offense especially in the first half and we did a great job with time and score when the clock [was] running down in a quarter,” head coach Scott Peters said. “The second half, they hit a couple shots which we were giving them, so we adjusted and we [hung] on for the victory.”

In the third quarter and fourth quarter, the Vikes were successfully able to maintain their lead. They consistently made their three pointers and free throws, and they had no problem conquering Mountain View’s defense. The final score of the game was 44-31 with Paly earning the win.

Team captain Charlotte Alipate (’14) expressed pride in her team for performing well on the court and utilizing their skills.

“I thought we played well and executed well what we did in practice,” Alipate said. “I thought it was a good game and overall I’m happy with the results.”

The Lady Vikes will hit the road next Tuesday for their next game against the Wilcox Chargers.