Softball shuts out San Mateo, 5-0

Softball shuts out San Mateo, 5-0

Maddie Kinnaman, Staff Writer

The Lady vikes dominated their game on Monday, leading the Bearcats unable to get any runs during all seven inning

The first four innings remained scoreless for the Bearcats, but the Vikings gained momentum in the fourth inning after Maddie Martinson (‘16) scored the first run of the game.  Casey Glassford (‘15) hit a double and eventually ran home for the Vikings’ second run of the game. The Vikings’ momentum continued after Paloma Tracy (‘15) also managed to run home for the Vikings, bringing the score to 3-0 at the end of the fourth inning.

After Glassford hit another double and Julia Saul (‘15) hit a single, Autumn Macareno (‘15) was able to make it home for the Vikings’ fourth run of the game during the bottom of the fifth.

At the bottom of the sixth after several attempts to score, Emma Noroian (‘14) ran home after Kabria Dame (‘15) and Macareno both hit singles. After Tracy got out after an attempt to run home the Bearcats were unable to score any runs during the seventh and final inning of the game.

Mike Dutto, assistant coach, thinks that despite the win the team has some areas that need improvement.

“We didn’t have effort from our girls today.We don’t look at results; we look at effort and we saw before the game they weren’t in it. This is a team they should have beat better,” Dutto said. “But we will figure it out tomorrow at practice”.

Co-captain Hannah Bundy agrees with Dutto and thinks the team could have performed better.

“We didn’t perform the way we definitely could have. We were very slow at the beginning. Our hitting caught up with us at the very end of the game, but we didn’t hit or field the way we definitely could have,” Bundy said.

The Vikings will play next on Wednesday, March 26 and Harbor High School.