Girls’ lacrosse thrashes Sequoia 12-0 on Senior Night

On a brisk Friday night, the Palo Alto girls’ lacrosse handily defeated Sequoia High School 12-0. The team celebrated Senior Night, as they will be graduating seven seniors this year.

The Lady Vikes kept their momentum going after beating St. Ignatius on Thursday. The team was in full control all the way through and the defense was stellar.

The Lady Vikes came out of the gates storming, tallying five goals within the first 20 minutes of play. Charlotte Biffar (’13) got the scoring started when she won a faceoff and charged straight through to the net for a goal. Laylar Memar (’12) followed that up with one of her two goals on the night.

The scoring barrage continued as Kimmie Flather (’12), Kristen DeStefano (’14), and Nina Kelty (’13) each had one goal apiece while Anna Dairaghi (’13) contributed two. Seniors Meghan Byrd, Ashley Swendseid, and Lauren Borchers all contributed  a goal, with Borchers scoring with just 15 seconds remaining in the game.

Head coach Jamie Nesbitt was pleased with the way Senior Night went for her team.

“We were able to get every senior to score which was huge, took us till the last 15 seconds, but I think that was really special,” Nesbitt said.

Seqoiua’s offense rarely challenged Paly on the defensive side, as Paly defenders swallowed any imminent scoring opportunities.

Nesbitt was thrilled about her defenses performance on the cold night.

“I’m really happy with how we did, sometimes these games are the hardest to play defensively because you spend alot of the time getting cold and stagnant, but I am really proud that our defense held it together,” Nesbit said.

After a CCS violation which resulted in the team forfeiting six league victories, the team responded in a huge way, winning three of their last four games to sneak into the playoffs.

Nesbitt was proud of the way hear team rebounded after CCS handed down its punishment.

“I’m so proud of them, we have continued to get better every game which is what you need to do,” Nesbit said. “Really just coming together, and bouncing back, and making the most of our season,” she said.

Although graduating key senior players, the Lady Vikes still have talent for years to come. Kelty and Biffar will look to anchor the squad next year. Both have already committed to play lacrosse at the next level, with Kelty going to University of Southern California and Biffar going to UC Berkeley.