Boys’ soccer beat Fremont 1-0

In a close match, Paly boys’ varsity soccer defeated Fremont, 1-0 on Friday at home.
In the first few minutes, Paly came out on a dominant note, maintaining possession. Cina Vacir (’14) moved down the field, passed the ball over to Preston Kuppe (’15) who faked out his defenders and the goalie scoring the first goal of the game. Following the goal, Fremont’s attack gained possession for the majority of the first half. However, the Viking defense was able to hold Fremont’s attack out, leaving Paly up by one at the end of the half.
In the second half both Paly and Fremont went back forth, unable to find the back of the net. The game became very physical with numerous fouls, as both teams looked to get some points up on the scoreboard. Fremont’s attack had multiple shots on goal but Paly’s goalie, Tony Maharaj (’14), had several key saves able to keep Paly in the lead winning 1-0.
Kuppe is very satisfied with the way his team played.
“We played really well, especially defensively,” Kuppe said. “It was just a really solid game all around.”
Coach Don Briggs echoed Kuppe’s sentiments.
“I think we played our best game of the season,” Briggs said. “We played really well defensively and scored a goal in the first five minutes, which was our plan.”
The team will take on Wilcox at Wilcox High School this Wednesday.