Lucas TungApril 15, 2024
The Hidden MVPs
The Hidden MVPs
Jason Hu and Ben LevavApril 11, 2024

Brief: Girls’ basketball triumphs on Senior Night

After a 10 minute ceremony honoring the team’s three seniors, Josie Butler (’13), Annie Susco (’13), and Stephanie Allen (’13),  the Lady Vikes (8-12) were  topped the Los Gatos Wildcats (6-15) 44-38.

The Vikings took a quick lead in the first quarter with two quick baskets from Butler and Charlotte Alipate (’14). However, Paly was not able to lengthen their lead for the rest of the quarter; by the end, the score was tied at 11-11.

The Vikings held a small lead through the second quarter, however, Butler injured her shoulder and was out for the rest of the game.

“It was frustrating for me, especially because one of our seniors hurt her shoulder in the game,” head coach Scott Peters said.

Nevertheless, the Vikings carried on and led 26-21 at halftime.

In the second half, after a layup by Courtney Lovely (’16) and a three-pointer by Siggi Bengston (’16), the Vikings had taken the lead 36-21 in the third quarter.

Although the Wildcats attempted a comeback in the final quarter, outscoring Paly 17-8, the Vikings never gave up their lead.

“I think it went really good,” Butler said. “We came off a losing streak, a midseason slump, and I think it took a lot of courage and lot of love for each other for us to pull out of it.”

The Vikings will face Gunn tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. in the Titan’s gym.