The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Girls’ basketball falls to Wilcox, 58-36

Paly girl’s basketball dropped their league game against Wilcox high school, in a disappointing 58-36 loss. Despite strong attempts from the Vikes to catch up to Wilcox, the Chargers maintained their lead throughout their entire game.

The lady Vikes started off strong in the first quarter with a neck-in-neck battle, each team fighting for the lead. However, despite shots by Skylar Burris (’17) and Lauren Koyama (’17), Wilcox overcame Paly’s defense and claimed a 17-12 lead at the end of the quarter.

Wilcox’s strong offense continued to overpower Paly’s defense in the second quarter, resulting in few baskets being scored. The Vikings struggled with their layups and three pointers, unable to catch up to Wilcox’s lead of 23-17 at the end of the quarter.

The lady Vikes started off strong in the third quarter looking to come back, with shots by Coco Lovely (’16) and a three pointer by Koyama. However, Wilcox immediately gained back a lengthy lead due to multiple fouls committed by Paly, bringing the score to 38-25 Wilcox. With their handful of three pointers and strong defense at the post, Wilcox managed to earn a 44-27 lead by the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Vikes showed some improvement in scoring with the help of Koyama who scored another three-pointer and Jackie Moore (’17) who shot and made two consecutive free throws. However, despite these attempts to get back in the game, the Lady Vikes were unable to overcome Wilcox’s defense, especially finding trouble in driving past the Chargers’ post. The game was dropped to Wilcox with a final score of 58-36.

Head coach Scott expresses his sentiments towards his teams efforts.

“I thought the girls did a good job,” coach Scott said. “They tried to do it the best they could and they hit their shots and we didn’t hit as many of ours.”

Despite the loss, the lady Vikes believed that they had improved this game and had played well.

“I think that this was a great improvement from our previous games,” Siggi Bengston (’16) said. “Wilcox is not an easy team….we missed a lot of easy layups and that overall hurt us.”

The Vikings will play their next league game this Friday at Milpitas High School.